Running old DOS Software
- D-Fend Reloaded is a graphical environment for DOSBox. DOSBox emulates a complete computer including the DOS
commandline and allows to run nearly all old DOS based games on modern hardware with any of the newer Windows
- Download D-Fend-Reloaded, install, add all your
DOS applications and run them from the menu in full-screen (default seting) or in a window.
- An alternative is MicroSoft Virtual PC that emulates older Windows versions or even MSDOS on your PC.
MicroSoft Virtual PC and install it. If you have Windows XP Home Edition ignore the warning
message about compatibility. MS Virtual PC runs fine.
- Start MS Virtual PC and create a Virtual Machine by clicking op NEW.
- Choose the Operating System you plan to install on the Virtual Machine, preferable Windows 98.
- Then install Windows 98 on the created Virtual Machine as you are used too in the good old 90's.
- Burn all REBEL software on a CD and copy on it via Windows 98 on the Virtual Machine.
- You are back in the 90's and all the good old DOS stuff will work again.
While MS Virtual PC
runs your DOS chess software a lot faster than D-Fend Reloaded
the latter is a lot more user friendly
regarding installation, running programs and without all the typical Windows 98 hassles.
Available old REBEL's
- Rebel Decade 1.0 The first free Rebel.
- Rebel Decade 3.0 The third freeware Rebel with
over 1 million downloads.
- Mephisto Gideon Ed Schröder's first born on
the PC, the year is 1993.
- Rebel 6.0 REBEL 6 was breakthrough regarding strength and
and also because of the introduction of voluminous database facilities.
- Rebel 7.0 Somewhat better than Rebel 6.0
- Rebel 9.0 Leading the SSDF list & sieger of the
world's no.10 chess player Artur Yussupov.
- Rebel 10 Victor of the match against the world's
no.2 chess player Vishy Anand. The year is 1998.
- Rebel Century 1.0 Successor of Rebel 10.
The addition "Century" because of the pending Millennium.
- Rebel Century 3.0 One of the last DOS Rebel's.
- Rebel XP The DOS version of 2002.
- Rebel 12 The very last DOS Rebel of 2004. Run SETUP to install.